Thursday, March 24, 2011

parcels. jogging. falafels.

SUITE
I know I said I was a fan of technology, but getting a real live package in the mail? The lady at the front desk probably thought I was a basket case when I got teary as she handed me one yesterday…

So much love!
That’s right- these are actual, physical items to make hotel life a little more bearable from Ames. This package couldn’t have come at a better time- we’re working out in the field right now and I won’t lie, it’s gotten to be a little taxing. But then I got lollipops, Lärabars, awesome lotion, and a handmade card, just like we used to make each other in college. I felt the love.
PLAY
When left to my own devices, I have to dupe myself into exercising, like I did this afternoon. Working out was easy in college when I lived with Amy, and totally painless when Jeremy and I would go to the gym together. But when I’m traveling, I just don’t have the natural motivation to run, or the metabolism to just sit around all the time. I’m softening the blow of the treadmill by re-watching all the episodes of Veronica Mars while I run. One episode is about 40 minutes, which means about 4 miles for me and my short legs. The last thing I wanted to do after getting back from 12 hours at the range was work out, but the hotel fitness room is so convenient and I’m still analyzing the motives behind Lilly Kane’s murder. As my soldiers would say, “Too easy.”

Spoiler alert: the sheriff got it wrong...
GRUB
I didn’t feel like hotel breakfast this morning, so I scarfed down some Kashi Cinnamon Harvest with frozen mixed berries and rice milk in my room. I grabbed a few Clementine oranges and tossed them in my purse to snack on during the day, along with a Cherry Pie Lärabar and a 100-calorie pack of almonds. Dinner was a little more exotic than I'd planned... all day I wanted hummus and pita bread, which I actually had on hand at the hotel. I've been experimenting with hummus a lot lately, and felt like making some at around 10:30 PM last night (my hotel neighbors loooooved me). But once dinnertime rolled around, I thought, "Wow, a falafel sure sounds tasty right about now." So I made makeshift falafel patties by taking about 2 tablespoons of hummus, squashing it into a circle and frying it in a little olive oil. The result was actually fantastic, and then I made sure to get my veggies by pairing the whole-wheat pitas with a huge spinach salad.

Protein, carbs and veggies? Check!
So tell me…

  1. I’m on a mission to send Jeremy some baller care packages while he’s overseas. They’ll definitely include fun cards and snacks like Amy’s did… Any other creative suggestions?
  2. Do you have to trick yourself into a workout? What are your secrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment