Sunday, March 27, 2011

on the move

SUITE
This morning, I said goodbye to Lawton, OK and the hotel room I'd gotten all too comfortable in these past two weeks. I'm flying out of Oklahoma City early tomorrow morning, so I'm taking any head start I can to maximize my sleeping time and drove up here this morning. The hotel I'm in now is actually perfect for a one night stay- it's close to good restaurants and the airport, and there's even a Starbucks in the lobby! My only qualm- and it's a small one- is the fact that the decor is a little funky. Take, for instance, this chair. I know it's meant for laptop work, but it brought back awful memories of a couple weeks ago, when I spent two hours under the dryer at Ulta in order to correct an unfortunate dark hair dye incident.
For the record, a Level 2 brown looks an awful lot like black...

PLAY
After days and days of anticipation, and a grueling 9 hours of building CAT5 cables in a tent, I was lucky enough to spend the evening drinking wine with two great new friends. Kerry and Vanessa's husbands were in the Army with Jeremy before he got out, and these girls have been amazing to me since I've been in Lawton. Having friends to spend time with while I'm traveling has really been a godsend- coming back to a hotel just waiting to go back to work 12 hours later can get mundane fast- and getting to hear some of my boyfriend's more embarassing stories is definitely a bonus. 

GRUB
I was ecstatic when we pulled into the new hotel and saw a Panera Bread next door. The restaurant's always been one of my favorites, and since switching to a vegan diet, I've become even more appreciative of how awesome their menu is. Sunday is an extra-special Panera day too, because it's one of three days that they serve their Low-Fat Vegetarian Black-Bean soup. If you've never tried it, you're missing out- its extremely filling and tastes out of this world! The only pitfall is the sodium content- almost 1600 milligrams- but I don't sweat it too much since I don't eat it all the time. I paired this with the Asian Sesame Chicken Salad (sans chicken) and a whole wheat baguette. The cashier at Panera might have been the nicest I've ever encountered, and gave me extra romaine lettuce since I 86'd the chicken. But I'll be honest, I was a litle disappointed in the salad. The dressing, a sesame vinaigrette, was weirdly sweet, and there was a ton of cilantro mixed in the greens, which made it even more strange. So I just didnt use a lot of the dressing and avoided the cilantro as much as I could. Still a fantastic lunch!

Mmmmmm!

 So tell me...
  1. What are some things that make you feel more at home when you're out of town?
  2. Are you going to watch To Catch a Predator tonight? (you should...)

2 comments:

  1. # 1 my memory is best jogged by smell, so when I was out to sea,I'd bring a familiar perfume/cologne or hair product would take me right back home :)

    #2 To catch a predator still comes on? Like new episodes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dominique- I really like your idea about the familiar scents! I think I'll bring a Yankee candle from home on my next long trip!

    And sadly no, TCAP is all reruns, but I still never get sick of them :)

    ReplyDelete